Cisco (NASDAQ: CSCO), a global technology leader, has announced its intent to acquire Splunk (NASDAQ: SPLK), a prominent cybersecurity and observability provider. This acquisition, valued at approximately $28 billion, marks a significant milestone in the tech industry. The collaboration between these two industry giants is set to bolster their AI, security, and observability capabilities, leading to increased security and resilience for organizations of all sizes.
- Deal Overview:
- Cisco will acquire Splunk for $157 per share in cash, totaling approximately $28 billion in equity value.
- Splunk President and CEO Gary Steele will join Cisco’s Executive Leadership Team, reporting directly to Chuck Robbins, Chairman and CEO of Cisco.
- Strategic Significance:
- This acquisition aligns with Cisco’s strategy to securely connect everything, furthering the vision of making anything possible.
- The combination of Cisco and Splunk’s expertise in AI, security, and observability will enhance organizations’ ability to safeguard their digital assets and maintain resilience.
- Joint Statement:
- Chuck Robbins, Cisco’s CEO, expressed excitement about the merger, emphasizing the next generation of AI-enabled security and observability.
- Gary Steele, CEO of Splunk, highlighted their mission to enhance global organizational resilience and deliver value to shareholders.
- Data Challenges in a Hyperconnected World:
- In today’s interconnected world, data is central to business operations and decision-making. However, the complexity of managing, protecting, and deriving value from data has increased due to factors like generative AI, expanding threat surfaces, and diverse cloud environments.
- Addressing Complex Challenges:
- Cisco and Splunk aim to tackle these data challenges together, leveraging their complementary capabilities in AI, security, and observability.
- Splunk’s security capabilities will complement Cisco’s portfolio, providing comprehensive security analytics and coverage from devices to clouds.
- Observability across hybrid and multi-cloud environments will enable seamless application experiences for digital businesses.
- Advantages of the Union:
- The merger enables greater investments in innovative solutions, accelerated innovation, and expanded global reach.
- Both companies share strong cultural values, emphasizing innovation and inclusion, creating a collaborative and inclusive work environment.
- Transaction Details:
- The agreement entails a cash acquisition of Splunk by Cisco at $157 per share.
- Cisco expects the transaction to be cash flow positive and gross margin accretive in the first fiscal year post-close, with non-GAAP EPS accretive in year two.
- The acquisition will not impact Cisco’s previously announced share buyback program or dividend program.
- Approval and Timeline:
- The acquisition has received unanimous approval from the boards of directors of both Cisco and Splunk.
- The deal is expected to close by the end of the third quarter of calendar year 2024, subject to regulatory approval and customary closing conditions, including approval by Splunk shareholders.
- Further Information:
- Additional details regarding the transaction can be found in Cisco’s Current Report on Form 8-K, which will be filed in connection with the acquisition.
Cisco’s acquisition of Splunk represents a significant step towards bolstering the cybersecurity and observability capabilities necessary for organizations to thrive in today’s complex digital landscape. This strategic merger promises to deliver enhanced security, resilience, and innovation to businesses worldwide, making the combined entity a global leader in data-driven solutions.